A Birth Story.

I thought I would take some time to write out my birth story. I love reading birth stories and I hope you enjoy reading mine!


Thatcher Graham was due on December 30, 2012. He decided he would follow in his mom’s footsteps and be late to the party!

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 I started getting contractions about 15-20 minutes apart. They started when Curtis was on his way home from work. I tried to stay calm and relaxed but I was so excited because it was time to meet my baby. We stayed up all night long with excitement.

The next morning Curtis decided to stay home and we excitedly headed to Atlanta to meet with our midwives to check my progress and hopefully meet our little bundle of joy. They informed me that I was only 1 cm and 80% effaced. They wanted me to go home and rest; since I wasn’t sleeping because of excitement, they prescribed me some pills and sent me away.

When we got home and rested, my contractions had completely stopped. They started again late that night, which caused us to go into our second night without sleep.

On Friday morning we received a call from one of the midwives checking in. I talked to her about how I was feeling [the contractions were finally starting to get stronger and closer together]. She told me to try and relax and call when they were 3-5 minutes apart. That afternoon, we drove to the hospital [with our fingers crossed].


They put me in a triage room to monitor me. When the midwife came in she informed me that I was still only 1 cm but 100% effaced. She suggested I might be dehydrated and we should try an IV and walking around the hospital for an hour while drinking lots of water. An hour and a half later, I was 3 cm. It worked!! They officially admitted me at 9pm.


They told me to get as much rest as possible which was hard to do because they were trying to monitor my contractions all night. My plan was to have an all natural birth that comes with the luxury of not being tied to hospital bed. The nurses were not comfortable with Thatcher’s heart rate [which was staying pretty baseline] when I had a contraction.


Around four or five in the morning, I started getting really uncomfortable. My midwife suggested I take a HOT shower on the birthing ball. That was the most amazing thing! I don’t know how long I was in there, but my skin was so prune-y when I got out.


They continued to remain uncomfortable with Thatcher’s heart rate. They suggested we do internal fetal heart rate monitoring. In this case, an electrode with a tiny spiral wire on the end is inserted through the cervix and screwed into the surface of the baby’s scalp. While inserting the monitoring device, my midwife also broke my water. She discovered there was meconium in the sac.


Once my water was broken, my labor progressed pretty quickly. I rested on the birthing ball and when a contraction came, I struggled to stand up to get through the contraction.


After a few attempts, I decided that was not the best way to go about labor. I tried leaning over the back of the hospital bed.


As soon as I got into that position, I was ready to push. It felt really good to belt out a low grunt; it helped me to push. [While I was pregnant, I watched tons of videos of natural birth. I ran across a lady who sounded like a grizzly bear when in labor. I told myself that I would never do that! Once I was in labor, I lost all modesty. I became the grizzly bear lady. Haha.]


After not sleeping for three days, I was completely worn out. I decided to flip onto my back and push. I pushed for about an hour and a half [which is a very long time].



At 6:45 pm on Saturday, January 5th my precious baby boy was born at Atlanta Medical Center in the loving arms of Intown Midwifery. Thatcher Graham was 8 pounds, 1 ounce and 19 1/2 inches long. He was perfect.








All photos by Heather B Photography.

Love, KarenAnn


2 thoughts on “A Birth Story.

  1. Pingback: iPhone Dump. | Thatcher&Co.

  2. Pingback: iPhone Dump. | Thatcher&Co.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s